Who can say no to a piping hot bowl of this baked yellow squash noodles and cheese sitting right in front of them? I can't. Nope. This easy squash casserole is a rich, creamy, and low carb way to get your cheese fix on for dinner tonight.Yep and yay...
Disclosure: A Sprinkling of Cayenne is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Oh So Grown-Up Baked Yellow Squash Noodles And Cheese
The other day, I had a hankering for baked macaroni and cheese that just wouldn't go away. No matter how hard I tried to think of other things, the thought of ooey, gooey cheese-and-noodle deliciousness would just not escape me. I've had these cravings since I was a little girl, when I was always peeking my head into the pantry to see if one of the blue and yellow boxes was tucked away on a shelf. More often than not, I scored a box. Thanks Mom!!
By the time I went gluten free in 2010, I had pretty much perfected my own easy cheese sauce to satisfy any unexpected mac and cheese cravings that dropped out of the clear blue sky. Nowadays, though, I don't indulge in pasta much, and am more into the trendy zoodle obsession cause, well, it's sooo good. And I like good. I like good a lot.
Lucky for me, we had four beautiful yellow squash in the fridge, and all of the rest of the ingredients that I almost always use to make a cheese sauce. Score again!! Thanks me!! It was sooo meant to be. I love it when life works out like that. Yep.
How to Make Baked Yellow Squash Noodles and Cheese
While each of the two batches were broiling, I whipped up the easy cheese sauce on the stove, and turned the oven down to 375 degrees F.
After a quick toss to combine the prepped ingredients, I popped the casserole into the oven, and finally got my mind to think about other things for a bit. You know, like what we were going to eat alongside the yummy baked yellow squash noodles and cheese??
I think in the end we went with grilled chicken breasts. But, I don't really remember because this baked yellow squash and cheese was the star of our dinner show that night. Sometimes you just need to update a favorite comfort food a bit to make it a more relevant addition to your modern menu rotation. As for this recipe, I think it's found a permanent home at our house. Share with those who want their ooey gooey cheesy deliciousness fix without any pasta weighing them down. And see y'all on the yum side...
Baked Yellow Squash Noodles And Cheese
- 4 yellow squash
- extra virgin olive oil spray
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot starch
- ½ cup gluten free chicken broth
- ½ cup half-n-half
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup cubed cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- salt black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
- Preheat broiler.
- Use a mandolin to julienne the squash. Remove seeds from julienned squash, if necessary.
- Spread yellow squash noodles over two shallow baking sheets that are lined with aluminum foil, then sprayed with extra virgin oil spray.
- Broil each sheet for 6 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Melt butter in saucepan. Add arrowroot starch, and stir until a blond roux is achieved.
- Combine remaining ingredients and stir until well-incorporated. Remove from heat.
- Add broiled yellow squash noodles to mixture, and stir until well-combined.
- Pour into a greased baking vessel, and bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the casserole is browned and bubbly.