Brown sugar roasted carrots are super tasty and easy to make, y'all!! Fresh, raw carrots, peeled and cut to similar sizes for even baking. Then, covered with melted butter, brown sugar, honey, hot sauce, cinnamon and parsley. And, baked to super tender and lightly browned deliciousness with pops of delectable, surprising flavors. Yep and yay...
I'll Take a Little Spicy with My Sweet Any Day of the Week, Y'all...
Just like usual, Mark came through again with a whole mess of fresh-from-the-garden carrots. They were so cute, y'all. Mostly on the smaller, 'baby carrot' side, with a few larger ones and smaller ones in the mix, as well.
And, as soon as I saw them, I planned to whip up a batch of my cayenne maple glazed carrots. They're my usual recipe, and we both love, love, love them. But, I was more in a brown sugary kind of mood than maple syrup this time.
So, I decided to create an equally super tasty yet simple recipe that we would love just as much. Variety truly is the spice of life, y'all. So, I went back to my recipe development drawing board. And, I created these cayenne honey brown sugar roasted carrots with what I had on hand.
And, I'm happy to report that I may even love them MORE than my go-to carrot side dish recipe. These brown sugar baked carrots are sassy, y'all. They're so sweet. Then spicy. And soooo melt-in-your-mouth tender that I pushed everything else to the side of my plate. And, ate these babies shamelessly until they were just a kinda spicy, super sweet memory that I can't wait to repeat! Indeed.
How to Make Brown Sugar Roasted Carrots in Your Kitchen
Start the brown sugar roasted carrots by getting all of the ingredients together. You'll also want to preheat the oven:
Then, pour the carrots into a bowl. And, cover with the seasoning mixture:
Now, mix the ingredients together until all of the carrot pieces are covered with the sauce:
Finally, arrange the sauce-covered carrots along the bottom of your enameled cast iron skillet. Bake for a while, then turn them over carefully during the last few minutes of cooking time. This allows the more charred carrot pieces to get a dip in the sauce on the bottom before being served:
And that's it y'all!!
The first thing you notice about these brown sugar-baked carrots is their melt-in-your-mouth texture. Then, you feel the honey and brown sugar dance along your tongue. And, while you're relishing in the sweetness, you're treated to the surprise cayenne hot sauce pops that start on the back of your throat and work their way forward.
By the time you've taken your second bite, you're amazed at the juxtaposition of sweet and spicy. And, how easy it was to make these brown sugar roasted carrots using just a handful of ingredients.
Share these cayenne-infused brown sugar-baked potatoes with those who know you well enough to see the sweet behind your sassiness. Much food love, and see y'all on the yum side...
Brown Sugar Roasted Carrots
- 1 pound carrots
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon Crystal hot sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and peel the carrots. If you're using larger carrots, cut them in half, then slice them down the middle.
- Place the carrot pieces into a large bowl.
- Pour the remaining ingredients into a smaller bowl, and stir until well-combined.
- Pour the sauce over the carrots, ensuring that all of the carrot pieces are covered with the sauce.
- Transfer the mixture to a very well-greased enameled cast iron skillet.
- Roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven using heavy duty pot holders on each side of the skillet.
- Turn the carrot pieces over carefully, then roast for an additional 10 minutes, or until the brown sugar roasted carrots are very tender.
- Serve immediately.