Yum to the oh soooo delicious tum, ya’ll!! I took my most beloved, most celebrated, and most requested ‘you-better-come-with’ dish EVER, and transformed it into this gluten free Cajun smothered green bean casserole. The slow-cooked Cajun green beans, flavorful gluten free cream of mushroom soup and cheese sauce, and the homemade French fried onions are oh super easy to put together. And the flavor and texture….I just don’t know which one is better. Yep and double yay…
Disclosure: A Sprinkling of Cayenne is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Oh, Gluten Free Cajun Smothered Green Bean Casserole, I Just Can’t Keep You to Myself Any More…Nope…
Y’all, I could honestly spend at least an hour of time telling you all about my love of Cajun smothered green beans. I love them so much that I wrote an entire blog post about them, when I gave my cherished recipe away to the entire Internet world.
And, since I’ve published my Cajun smothered green beans, it’s been the #1 recipe on my blog. So, I know that y’all love the highly seasoned, buttery, melt-in-your-mouth south Louisiana dish as much as I do. Yep.
Well, I actually developed this gluten free Cajun smothered green bean casserole recipe more than 2 years ago. I have a vivid memory of making them for a family get-together at Mark’s parent’s house. And afterwards having a conversation with Mark about how I usually always bring green beans to almost every event.
He was very polite when he said that maybe people would want another one of my side dishes, sometimes, you know, instead of the green beans. This was quite a shocking statement to hear, y’all. Because I buy green beans almost every single time that I go to the grocery store. And, when I’m making dinner plans, I usually think I want to cook something or other ‘and green beans.’
And then when we get invited to any kind of potluck, I think that I want to bring green beans. And then when I have a good meal at someone else’s house, I think ‘the only thing that would’ve made that meal any better would’ve been smothered green beans.’
I know, I know, I’m obsessed with green beans. But it’s a good obsession, as I don’t believe that a green bean has ever really hurt a person at all. Nope.
And, I do believe that when you take something you love and make it even better, then it’s time to share it with those who will love it as much as you do. Yep. So, here I am sharing my gluten free Cajun smothered green bean casserole with y’all right here, right now…
This Gluten Free Cajun Smothered Green Bean Casserole is South Louisiana Food Love at Its Finest…Yep…
The most important thing that I learned growing up in a south Louisiana Cajun household is this: Food is love, love is food, and food that you cook from your heart means all that much more when you share it with those you love. Yep.
Nowadays, it’s soooo easy to find gluten free cream of mushroom soup at your local grocery store. It’s usually right next to the gluten free flour mixes, so in one quick trip you can have everything you need to make this yum-delicious gluten free Cajun smothered green bean casserole. You can usually also order all the ingredients online, and have them delivered straight to your home.
Anyway, my oh sooo tender and flavorful Cajun smothered green beans form the base of the dish. Then, a mixture of cheeses, a few spices, and the gluten free cream of mushroom soup inject the beans with a ‘I-just-gotta-have-one-more-bite’ creamy texture. And the homemade gluten free French fried onions, y’all. A few spread into the casserole to enliven the flavor. And then some placed on top for picture-perfect presentation and over-the-top crunchiness.
Share this gluten free Cajun smothered green bean casserole with those you want to food love with south Louisiana-seasoned, side dish yum-deliciousness. And see y’all on the yum side…
Gluten Free Cajun Smothered Green Bean Casserole
- Gluten Free Cajun Smothered Green Beans increasing all of the ingredients by 1 1/2 (see notes)
- 1/4 cup smothered green beans sauce
- 1 teaspoon Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 1 can gluten free cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups milk
- salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
- For the Gluten Free French Fried Onions
- 3 cups cooking oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 to 3 cups milk or buttermilk
- 2 to 3 cups cassava flour or gluten free flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- Soak sliced onions in milk or buttermilk for at least 2 hours.
- Season gluten free flour with SP&C, onion powder, garlic powder, and parsley flakes.
- Heat cooking oil to 350 degrees F.
- Remove onions from milk or buttermilk, and submerge in gluten free flour/seasoning mixture.
- Fry until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper-towel line plate. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place a colander over a large mixing bowl. Drain cooked Gluten Free Cajun Smothered Green beans over the colander.
- Pour the green bean juice butter/seasoning mixture into a medium pot.
- Whisk the teaspoon of gluten free flour into the mixture. Continue whisking continuously until incorporated.
- Add the gluten free cream of mushroom soup, about 3 tablespoons of crumbled French fried onions, Parmesan cheese, and cream cheese. Add SP&C to taste.
- Pour the green beans and mushroom soup mixture into a greased 12-inch cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Top with remaining French fried onions.
- Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown.