A feast for the eyes and the soul, my gluten free strawberry mint chocolate trifle is a crowd pleaser that you’ll want to put into your GF recipe arsenal ASAP, y’all. Layers of gluten free chocolate cake, vanilla pudding, easy homemade mint syrup, sliced strawberries and whipped cream come together into one show-stopping trifle that’s perfect for bringing to get-togethers with beloved family and friends. Yep and yay…
Disclosure: A Sprinkling of Cayenne is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
My Gluten Free Strawberry Mint Chocolate Trifle Dreams Are Now My Yum-Delicious Reality…
For weeks and weeks at a time, I found my favorite gluten free chocolate cake mix on sale at my local Walmart. At first, I picked up a couple of boxes at a time, thinking that the sale was going to be a temporary one. But, when they were still on sale half a dozen trips later, I started just picking up one box at a time until they were all gone.
So, Mark and I had like 10 boxes in our pantry that we used mostly for potlucks and family get-togethers. We loved this arrangement, as it took the guesswork out of the ‘Is there going to be a dessert there that Lyn can eat?’ question that comes up every time we are invited to a food-related event.
So, to make a long boxed gluten free chocolate cake story short, we’ve had two straggler sale boxes in our pantry for a while now. And, since we have mint growing in our backyard garden year round, I’ve been dreaming of a way to put two of my favorite flavors together in one Sunday dinner-style dessert.
While I was still developing the recipe in my head, I kept having the feeling that something was missing. So, I held off putting the chocolate and the mint together until the idea of adding fresh, sliced fruit to the mix crossed my mind.
And then I almost literally ran into the kitchen to finally make this gluten free strawberry mint chocolate trifle come right into my real life. Yep.
Oh Gluten Free Strawberry Mint Chocolate Trifle, You’re Oooh Sooo Good Over-the-Top…
Although I admit that I make a whole, whole of comfort foods, I also have to defend myself by saying that the ones that I eat over and over again are actually very healthy and waaaayyyy low on the carbs.
But, I also feel that splurging on an extravagant dessert to make up for all of the times that we gluten intolerants have to sit there and watch other people eat wheat flour cake is a MUST. Yep.
So, there I was in my kitchen, making 5-minute homemade mint syrup, baking the cake, and whisking milk into powdered vanilla pudding. I was also slicing strawberries and dipping my spoon deep into the Cool Whip tub on this one.
It was total packaged baking bliss with fresh strawberries, and mint grown about 10 feet from my back door. I was sooo loving it, as food coming out of boxes is an oh sooo unusual site in my kitchen.
This gluten free strawberry mint chocolate trifle tastes even better than it looks, ya’ll! The mint syrup seeps all the way down into the moist chocolate cake. And the strawberry-studded pudding/whipped cream layers make each bite just a little more rich, luscious and insanely yum-delicious than the last.
Share this gluten free strawberry mint chocolate trifle with those who would politely never, ever remember how many servings you had. And see y’all on the yum side..
Gluten Free Strawberry Mint Chocolate Trifle
For the Mint Syrup
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
For the Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
- 1 box Pillsbury Gluten Free Devil's Food Premium Cake Mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
For the Filling
- 1 box instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups cold milk
- 2 cups whipped cream ( I used Cool Whip)
For the Topping
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups whipped cream
For the Strawberry Layer and Topping
- 4 cups fresh, sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the mint syrup by mixing the water, sugar, mint leaves and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Heat to boiling, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare the gluten free cake with the water, oil and eggs according to the directions on the box.
- Make the pudding by whisking the two cups of milk into the pudding mix. Refrigerate to set.
- Once the cake is baked, let it cool down to room temperature. Then, cut the cake into 2-inch squares.
- Prepare the trifle by making a layer of gluten free chocolate cake squares along the bottom of a trifle dish, or a large, preferably see-through dish. Use a spoon to drizzle about 1 tablespoon of cooled mint syrup over the cake. Next, spread a layer of the pudding/whipped cream mixture over the cake. Then, layer about 1 1/2 cup of fresh strawberries over the pudding.
- Repeat the layers, ending with the whipped cream topping. Garnish the gluten free strawberry mint chocolate trifle with fresh strawberries, whole mint leaves, and minced mint leaves, if desired.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours, and up to 24 hours, before serving.