I'm not one for an early-morning breakfast. Nope. In all honesty, I'm just not hungry at my usual stupid-o'clock-in-the-morning wake up time. When I arise, I want coffee, and lots of it, and food is almost always the last thing on my mind. Until about 10 a.m., when the ravishing hunger pangs hit me like darting punches to the stomach. I want food, and I want food right now, and I usually end up eating dinner-for-breakfast leftovers. I am often quite happy with this predicament. But, sometimes, I want a breakfast that tastes like a real breakfast. One that I don't have to cook, that I just have to eat. One that's already there in the fridge waiting on me to wake up. One just like this grain and gluten free strawberry banana date breakfast cake.
Disclosure: A Sprinkling of Cayenne is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
This Gluten Free Strawberry Banana Date Breakfast Cake is There for You
Creamy, rich, and filling, this easy gluten free skillet cake hits your I-need-breakfast-now spot. It's sooo good, y'all. And it's aroma! Like a candle!!! But you get to eat it, too!!! Yep!!!
Mashed bananas, pureed strawberries, pulsed dates, almond flour and cassava flour make up the body of the cake. A few extra ingredients tie the whole gluten free strawberry banana date breakfast cake together, putting the small finishing 'wow that's good' touches that make the cake worth making again and again.
It's easy to prepare during the weekend, and keep in the fridge for all-week breakfast meals and who-cares-what-time-it-is munchies. Oh, and did I mention that it's technically Paleo without the icing? Yep. This gluten free strawberry banana date breakfast cake is self-sweetened with the three fruits, so its a no-guilt way to start your day.
Best of all, you make this breakfast skillet cake in one bowl, so clean-up is a cinch, too. This is soooo my kind of recipe, y'all!!!
Drizzle the maple syrup-infused cream cheese glaze on top of this gluten free strawberry banana date breakfast cake to add another flavor dimension layer. Or, just serve hot with melted butter. Yum.
- Breakfast Cake Ingredients
- 4 overripe bananas
- 1 cup fresh strawberries trimmed, chopped, and pureed in a food processor or blender until smooth
- ½ cup trimmed and chopped fresh strawberries
- 2 eggs
- ½ stick softened butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped pecans optional
- 1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups chopped dates pulsed in a food processor into crumbs or 2 cups sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- 1 cup cassava flour
- Glaze Ingredients
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cashew or almond milk
- Grease a 12-inch cast iron skillet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mash bananas in large mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the almond meal and cassava flour, to the bowl. Stir until well-incorporated.
- Add almond meal and cassava flour. Stir until well-combined. Batter will be very thick.
- Pour batter into greased cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes back clean.
- Beat cream cheese with hand mixer until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Put glaze into piping bag, or use the back of a spoon to drizzle the glaze atop the cake.
The information shown is an estimate provided by a third-party, online computer-generated nutrition calculator, not a registered dietitian or certified nutritionist. Actual nutritional content will vary based upon brands used, measuring methods and individual portion sizes, along with other factors.See our full nutrition disclaimer here.