Want a fast, ultra-yummy meal for dinner tonight that takes roughly 35 minutes to cook? This zesty skillet chicken thighs with mushrooms recipe incorporates several pantry staples into one delicious sauce that’s infused with just the right kick of fresh cilantro. Just as good for next-day leftovers as it is for dinner, this gluten free one skillet meal is perfect for spicing up your weeknight menu rotation.
Zesty Skillet Chicken Thighs With Mushrooms is a Yummy Flavor Kaleidoscope in Your Mouth
Last chicken dinner night, I was peeping my head into the pantry to see what kind of sauce I could come up with when my eye fell upon a bottle of Tabasco Sweet & Spicy Sauce. While I don’t like to play favorites with my prepared gluten free sauces, I have to admit that I’ve been stuck on this one quite a bit lately, as it has the best of both flavoring worlds in one bottle. Once I grabbed it, all of the other spice, seasoning, and sauce players came together to become this gluten free zesty skillet chicken thighs with mushrooms that I just can’t get enough of now.
This one skillet meal has alternating spicy, sweet, smoky, tangy, and fresh herb flavor notes that are all highly familiar, yet crazy unique. I eat it over mashed potatoes, but zesty skillet chicken thighs with mushrooms would also be great over gluten free pasta or rice. Double this easy gluten free chicken thighs recipe for a crowd to score yourself BIG points for serving something up with just the right amount of ‘ooooohhhh, that’s good’ in it. Yep and yum…
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. When you purchase an item through one of the links, I receive a small commission that I use to cover the costs associated with running A Sprinkling of Cayenne food blog.
- 1½ pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup gluten free chicken broth
- 1½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 9 drops gluten free liquid smoke (I use Colgin)
- 1½ tablespoons gluten free chicken broth
- ¾ teaspoon Tabasco Sweet & Spicy Sauce
- 1½ teaspoon honey
- 3 tablespoons gluten free ketchup
- 1½ tablespoons gluten free ranch dressing
- ¾ teaspoon molasses
- ½ pound sliced button mushrooms
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Cut boneless skinless chicken thighs into approximately three same-size pieces.
- Season with SP&C.
- Coat bottom of a 12-inch cast iron skillet with the olive oil. Brown chicken pieces in batches.
- Deglaze pan with the ⅓ cup chicken broth. Let reduce by half. Put chicken back in skillet.
- Combine all remaining ingredients - except for fresh cilantro - in a medium bowl.
- Pour over browned chicken. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add fresh cilantro. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, rice, or gluten free pasta.