These zesty, saucy, and oh soooo easy gluten free skillet cocktail meatballs are a lifesaver when you need a quick, foolproof party appetizer. South Louisiana seasoned ground beef and a handful of pantry ingredients transform into saucy yum-deliciousness in less than one hour. But, when you make-ahead the sauce, it deepens into a refined, sophisticated topping for the oh sooo light and juicy mini meatballs that also happen to be grain free, and keto and Paleo adaptable. Yep and yay...
Disclosure: A Sprinkling of Cayenne is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
And After it Was All Over, I Felt Better When I Ate These Easy Gluten Free Cocktail Meatballs
If you read my blog regularly, you've likely noticed that it's been a hot minute since my last post. I usually try to post a new recipe about once a week, but sometimes unexpected struggles get in the way of my publishing schedule. Yep.
In the past few weeks, I've had several out-of-the-blue computer issues that tied up my computer for hours and hours, and sometimes days at a time. (Sad sigh and shake of the head.)
I was actually recovering from the first two or so random computer issues late last Thursday, and was certain that I would get a post up on Friday. Then, I woke up that morning to snow falling quite briskly outside of our south Louisiana home. Yep again.
Considering that it only snows way down here roughly every five years, I shook off the weather forecast for lots of snow as media sensationalism before I went to sleep that night. So, when I woke up to snow and news of power outages, I had to admit that I was wrong. And that my next blog post just wasn't going to go up like I'd planned.
By noon on Friday, Mark and I and the rest of our neighborhood had lost our power, too. And by mid-afternoon we had six inches of snow in our yard. And by nightfall we had eight inches of snow, and a bone-chilling cold not often experienced in our sub-tropical climate. Nope.
By the time we got our electricity, cable, and Internet back, my computer started to have even more issues over another two-day period. So, frazzled, frustrated, and craving something totally new and yum-delicious to eat, I developed these easy gluten free skillet cocktail meatballs as fast as I could....
Now You Can Use These Easy Gluten Free Skillet Cocktail Meatballs on the Fly, Too....
Once I finalized the recipe for these gluten free skillet cocktail meatballs, I just knew that I had to share them with y'all as soon as possible.
With the holidays right around the corner, everyone is rushing to fulfill many obligations before their time off with family and friends. And, I know that unexpected challenges are probably going to arise in each one of y'all's life, too.
So, I wanted to give y'all a recipe that's just as easy as it is good, so y'all could make them on the fly for a get-together. Especially those of you who have to bring your own hot and tasty gluten free food to parties, or else you'll have nothing else to eat. Been there. Done the silent 'I'm soooo hungry' that. And don't want any of my gluten free diet community to EVER have to go through that again. Yep.
Truth be told, these grain and gluten free skillet cocktail meatballs are a cinch to throw together. You probably already have many of the ingredients on hand. And, if you're Paleo or keto, you can easily substitute your own diet-friendly ingredients to make this recipe suitable for you, too.
The pulverized seasonings mixed into the ground beef bind each meatball, eliminating the need for eggs and/or gluten free bread crumbs. And the ketchup-based sauce gets a fancy makeover with just a little over a handful of pantry and fridge ingredients. Tender, juicy, and flavor-layered yum deliciousness that just gets better with time, this recipe is oh soooo party-worthy. Yep. Share these easy gluten free skillet cocktail meatballs with someone you want to laugh with in-between each and every small flavor-pop bite. And see y'all on the yum side...
Easy Gluten Free Skillet Cocktail Meatballs
- For the Cocktail Meatballs
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- ½ cup onion
- ½ cup green bell pepper
- ½ cup celery
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons gluten free Worcestershire sauce
- For the Cocktail Meatball Sauce
- 2 cups gluten free ketchup
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon Creole mustard
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoon gluten free barbecue sauce
- salt black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place ground beef in a large mixing bowl.
- Place the onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce in blender or food processor. Pulse until liquefied.
- Pour the mixture into the ground beef, and use your hands to work the mixture into the beef. (Do not overwork the beef mixture or your meatballs will be tough.)
- Use a plastic tablespoon scoop to form roughly 38 to 42 cocktail meatballs.
- Line the bottom of a roasting rack with aluminum foil, then secure the top of the rack over the foil.
- Alternately, place aluminum foil on the bottom of a cast iron skillet, then place a roasting rack on top of the foil.
- Arrange the cocktail meatballs in a single layer over the rack.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Pour all sauce ingredients into a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Stir until well-combined. Cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- Place meatballs in sauce, and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately. But, for best results, let cool, store in an airtight container, and serve 24 hours later.