One large pot – and one super delicious list of both traditional and just a little unusual ingredients – give this gluten free one pot chicken noodle soup an ‘Ooh, I’ve never had it like this before’ flavor and texture. Oh, and just one hour til it’s yum in your tum…Yep and yay!!
Gluten Free One Pot Chicken Noodle Soup — I Need You Right, Right Now!!!
I’m back, y’all!!! Early this month, my entire life, including my food blogging routine, came to a screeching halt. Mark and I both came down with a virus from Hades that put us both down for the count.
This wasn’t just a little sickness that made us feel a little under the weather, but let us still function throughout our day. Nope. This was a BEAST of a virus. One that made every muscle, bone, and joint in our bodies ache. One that gave us the ‘I didn’t know it was humanly possible to sneeze that many times in a row without straight dropping dead’ gasps and groans. And, one whose fever made us screaming hot and shivering cold at the exact same time!!
This crazy virus also had a mean cough and sore throat that gave us both a Darth Vader-like voice for days and days. And, it made everything we put in our mouths taste like we just pulled it out of a dumpster. The food felt like cardboard going down on the good days, and sandpaper on the bad days.
Man, did we ever get it!! True to form, Mark bounced back first. But, sadly, I didn’t fare as well. I’m actually still recovering after almost 14 days of sheer misery. It was 14 days of torture, 14 days of eating mainly cereal out of a box, and 14 days of NOT cooking much at all that tasted like my usual good eats.
To tell you the truth, I usually can’t cook when I’m sick. I generally turn everything that I attempt to cook into an embarrassing mess that I wouldn’t serve to my worst enemy. (Shameful shake of the head.) So, either Mark cooked, or we ate out of boxes. (Embarrassed shrug.)
However, during one of the very worst days of my sickness, I had a stroke of culinary recipe development genius!! I was standing in the kitchen, staring at a pack of chicken thighs, and several other soup ingredients that I suddenly just knew would taste great together. And, since I didn’t know how long I would feel well enough to cook, I decided that it all had to go in one pot, right, right now.
So, this is how the birth of this gluten free one pot chicken noodle soup came into existence. We needed something hot, something nutritious, and something that was not heat-and-served out of a box.
Just Like That, Gluten Free One Pot Chicken Noodle Soup Gives You What You Need…
It was a total great accident, one that I’m super proud to share with y’all, cause I know that you’ll like it just as much as we did. One cause it’s sooo easy, two cause it’s sooo good, and three cause it cooks in one pot in less than an hour. It just works. And it’s just a new way to eat old familiar chicken noodle soup that’s totally gluten free, and totally ready in no time once you dump it all into one big honking soup pot…
First, you bring the chicken broth to a rolling boil in the pot. Then, you season the chicken with the Asian-inspired marinade. Next, you cut the veggies up, and break about 2 cups of gluten free spaghetti in half, and then in half again:
And then you throw all of the ingredients into the boiling chicken broth, and cook it for about 30 minutes, or until the noodles and veggies are tender:
And when it’s all cooked into one glorious pot of yum-delicousness, you ladle this gluten free one pot chicken noodle soup into your favorite bowl and get down to munching. Easy, and creamy from the starch that’s released from the noodles, this soup makes you forget all about the day’s troubles in minutes. Yep, a big body-warming and soul-hugging yay, and see y’all on the yum side…
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 1 cup gluten free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 10 cups gluten free chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can baby carrots, drained and chopped
- 1 small head Napa cabbage, sliced and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups gluten free spaghetti, broken into fourths
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Bring the 10 cups gluten free chicken broth to a rolling boil.
- Make the chicken thigh marinade by combining the 1 cup chicken broth, rice vinegar, fish sauce, Siracha, sugar, dried parsley flakes, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Submerge the chicken thighs in the bowl.
- When the pot of broth is boiling, pour in the chicken and marinade. Add the carrots, cabbage, onion, and gluten free spaghetti to the pot.
- Boil the soup for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until the pasta and veggies are tender. Stir often throughout cooking process.
- Adjust seasonings, if desired.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top each bowl with 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro.
Remove the Gluten Free One Pot Chicken Noodle Soup from heat as soon as it is done. If you do not eat all of the soup when it is ready, it is probably going to thicken as it cools, or during refrigerated storage. Simply add a cup or two of chicken broth to the soup to reach desired consistency upon reheating.