Creamy cold Cajun shrimp salad with mayo is one of those recipes that you can use to wow your family and guests throughout the year, y'all. Peeled, deveined shrimp, seasoned with south Louisiana flair. Then, baked for just a bit with finely pulsed Cajun trinity veggies. Cooled, then mixed with mayonnaise, two types of mustards, fresh herbs and a bit of a surprise ingredient that takes the whole flavor-popping shellfish treat over the top. Yep and yay...
This Recipe Fits Into All of Life's Occasions, Y'all...
I usually eat dinner leftovers for next-day lunch. However, there are days when I want something different. Totally new. And soooo easy to make that it doesn't interfere much with my morning goings-on.
On these occasions, I usually whip up a batch of my Creole chicken salad. I love, love, love it. And since I generally have chicken something or other around here, it takes no time at all.
Well, I seem to be stuck in a shrimp mood these days. Yep. I want shrimp this and I want shrimp that. So, it came as no surprise to me when the desire to create a new creamy cold Cajun shrimp salad with mayonnaise sprang up out of nowhere.
So, I took all of my salad with mayonnaise skills and transformed them just a bit for the shellfish substitution. And, I'm happy to report that this shrimp salad with mayonnaise tastes just as good as its chicken cousin.
It boasts a super creamy texture that enhances the soft, baked melt-in-your-mouth shrimp to perfection. And, the south Louisiana spices and crunch Cajun trinity veggie bits really make a big taste impression that just gets better and better with each bite.
This chilled shrimp salad also doubles, triples and quadruples well. So, you can make a big batch for all-week lunches. Or, for when you want to add just the perfect little something extra for family events and holiday parties.
This creamy cold Cajun shrimp salad with mayonnaise fits into all of life's occasions, y'all. And since you enjoy it so many ways, it's an ace-in-the-hole recipe that you can use to spice things up around your house year-round.
How to Make Creamy Cold Cajun Shrimp Salad with Mayo
Start the creamy cold Cajun shrimp salad with mayo by grabbing all of the necessary ingredients. You'll also want to preheat the oven:
Now, place the Cajun trinity veggies of onion, bell pepper and celery into the bowl of your food processor:
And, pulse for about 30 to 45 seconds, or until the vegetables are finely chopped:
Now, pour the shrimp into a bowl, then top with the chopped vegetables and the seasonings:
Then, pour the mixture into a well-greased cast iron skillet:
And bake for just a few minutes:
Let cool. Then, pour into a bowl:
Then, top the cooked shrimp and veggies with the remaining ingredients:
Finally, stir all of the ingredients for the creamy cold Cajun shrimp salad together. It will be thin at first. But, once you refrigerate it for at least one hour it will thicken up beautifully.
And that's it, y'all!!
This super creamy cold Cajun shrimp salad with mayo is insanely flavorful and rich. So much so that you'll likely want to make a mental note of whipping it up for lunch or a light dinner often. And, making big batches of it to share with your friends and loved ones at events.
What makes this shrimp salad with mayonnaise stand out from all of the rest is its perfectly balanced flavors and pops of baked veggies that enhance each bite with just the right amount of crunchiness. It's bold, but not spicy. So kids can enjoy it, too. Indeed.
Share this creamy cold Cajun shrimp salad with those who've remained by your side through all of the high and low seasons of your life story. And see y'all on the yum side...
Creamy Cold Cajun Shrimp Salad with Mayo
For the Roasted Shrimp and Cajun Trinity Veggies
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deviened
- thick slice of onion, cut into 4 pieces
- thick slice of orange bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- thick slice of celery stalk, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
For the Creamy Cold Cajun Shrimp Salad with Mayo
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, see notes
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Creole mustard
- 1 tablespoon gluten free ranch dressing
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the Cajun trinity of onion, orange bell pepper and celery into a food processor.
- Pulse until minced.
- Pour into a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the shrimp to the bowl.
- Season the shrimp and veggies with the garlic powder, onion powder, parsley flakes, paprika, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Pour into a well-greased 12-inch cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove the skillet and let cool.
- Drain the shrimp and veggies over a colander.
- Pour into a large bowl with a fitted lid.
- Add the mayo, yellow and Creole mustards, ranch dressing, freshly chopped parsley and green onions to the bowl.
- Stir until very well-combined.
- Cover and chill for at least one hour, but preferably 3 to 4 hours, before serving.
- Serve over lettuce leaves or crackers
or use as a sandwich filling.