My fried shrimp salad transforms the usual veggie-eating experience into a show-stopping event full of surprise flavors and textures, y'all. Cajun fried shrimp, served warm over romaine, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, green onions, and whole pickled okra. Topped with cheese and your choice of south Louisiana-inspired dressing, this jazzed-up produce fest tantalizes the taste buds with bold, sassy flavors. Yep and yay...
Prepare to Be Amazed, Y'all...
Just one bite of this fried shrimp salad is enough to make you stop everything you're doing and polish off a plate. Yep. There's just something about the warm Cajun-seasoned shrimp, and cool, fresh veggies that's just as comforting as it is substantial.
I created this original recipe using what I had on hand in my kitchen. And, it really worked out because the sweetness of the roasted red peppers and the savoriness of the fried shrimp pair perfectly together. These prominent flavor notes complement the tomato and lettuce background ingredients well. However, the real knockout flavor punch comes from the pickled okra that takes the whole experience to its highest possible flavor and texture level. Indeed.
- Purchase the freshest raw shrimp you can get your hands on for this recipe, y'all. You can use thawed frozen shrimp, as well.
- You're definitely going to need all of the ingredients for my authentic Cajun fried shrimp. That includes cassava flour, Cajun spices, hot sauce, lemon zest and juice, and eggs. You'll also need oil for frying.
- Pickled okra is the unexpected salad ingredient standout. I use the mild version so that complements, not competes with, the rest of the ingredients. Keep them whole, because if you cut them the seeds will overpower the flesh in each bite. So, trust me, serve them whole. Then, encourage everyone to take a random bite of their okra throughout the meal.
- Romaine hearts, tomatoes, roasted red peppers, and pepper Jack cheese are all you need to round out the ultimate fried shrimp salad flavor bomb extravaganza. But, feel free to use whatever veggies and cheeses you have on hand.
How to Make Fried Shrimp Salad
Start by preparing your veggies. Toss the romaine lettuce with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste. Then, dice the tomatoes and green onions.
Now, season the shrimp, and get the oil going for frying.
When all of the shrimp are fried, top each serving of salad with about ¼ pound. Then, drizzle a bit of remoulade or Cajun ranch over each serving. You may even like my Creole mustard vinaigrette or even a bit of Cajun tartar sauce. Alternatively, just use your own favorite salad dressing.
And that's it, y'all!!
This fried shrimp salad is super easy to make. It's incredibly delicious and the juxtaposition of the hot, crispy shrimp and the cool veggies is a soul-satisfying experience. Best of all, you can adapt this recipe slightly every time you make it by changing up a few salad ingredients and using a different dressing.
Oh the delicious possibilities, y'all! This is year-round salad fun fo sho!!
Share with those who love you for spicing up their lives with unpredictable awesomeness. And see y'all on the yum side...
To experience optimal flavor, season the shrimp the night before you want to make the salad. Then, cover and refrigerate them til a few minutes before you fry them.
These are my favorite dressings and condiments to serve with this salad.
You may also like these salad recipes.
Fried Shrimp Salad
- Whip up a batch of authentic Cajun fried shrimp.
- Toss the torn romaine hearts with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Top the romaine hearts with the remaining salad ingredients, then divide the salad into four servings.
The information shown is an estimate provided by a third-party, online computer-generated nutrition calculator, not a registered dietitian or certified nutritionist. Actual nutritional content will vary based upon brands used, measuring methods and individual portion sizes, along with other factors.See our full nutrition disclaimer here.