Rich, nutty and exploding with flavor, my gluten free Louisiana trout almondine is on the table in 30 minutes flat. An easy prep, a sizzling fish pan fry, and a quick almond, lemon and brown butter sauce tie the whole dish into at-home gourmet deliciousness. Yep and yay...
Disclosure: A Sprinkling of Cayenne is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Gluten Free Louisiana Trout Almondine is the Perfect Weeknight Indulgence
One thing every home cook always needs more of is super tasty 30-minute meals. Even me. Yep. I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoy obsessing over original recipes for hours and hours on end.
There's just something sooo soothing and fulfilling in creating brand spanking new dishes. But, sometimes I just want to chill and whip up an awesome meal that takes less time to cook than a half-hour sitcom. A time-tested meal of the ages, perfected in some foreign romantic country. You know, like France.
My gluten free Louisiana trout almondine, or trout amandine if you're fancy French like that, is a simple dish of browned butter, slivered almonds and spices. There's a little lemon juice and zest in the sauce, too. Oh, and a light, flaky fried gluten free crust on the fish that soaks up the brown butter sauce. Yet it still retains its crispy and airy crust composition until the very last bite! Yum!!
Gluten Free Louisiana Trout Almondine is One of the Easiest Things You'll Ever Make, Yep...
Since the French already perfected trout almondine a long, long time ago, all I really had to do was south Louisiana-ify it up. Yep.
Oh, and of course make it gluten free. That was super easy to do with this gluten free rice flour blend that I'm absolutely loving right now.
And since this is all y'all have to do, too, this dish is one of the easiest things you'll ever make in your life. The most strenuous thing you have to do is chop a little parsley, if you buy slivered almonds especially for the dish.
The brown butter sauce only takes minutes to pull together. And pan-frying the trout in olive oil and butter goes by quickly, too. Before you know it, you'll be missing the crackling sounds and sassy, can't-wait-another-second-to-eat-it smells coming out of the cast iron skillet.
Share this gluten free Louisiana trout almondine with someone you want to treat with an at-home restaurant meal night. And see y'all on the yum side...
Gluten Free Louisiana Trout Almondine
- 2 7-oz. trout fillets
- salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 stick plus 3 tablespoons salted butter
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- zest and juice of one small lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup gluten free rice flour blend
- ½ cup milk
- Liberally season both sides of the trout fillets with SP&C. Set aside.
- Melt the stick of butter in a 8-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. When it starts to foam after a few minutes, add the lemon juice, almonds and parsley.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Heat the olive oil and 3 tablespoons in a greased 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Pour the milk and the GF flour blend into two different long, shallow pans or baking dishes. Add the lemon zest to the flour.
- Carefully dredge each fillet into the flour blend, then the milk, then back into the flour blend.
- Pan fry the fillets for about 7 minutes per side, or until deep golden brown.
- Let both fillets rest on paper towels for a few minutes before transferring to a serving platter or plate.
- Top with hot brown butter almond sauce.